- Prime Storage Group |
- Blog |
- March Makeover: Spring Cleaning Edition
We’re providing a checklist to help you conquer your spring cleaning! From cleaning supplies to cleaners, we’ve got you covered. We’re outlining everything you’ll want to do in each room of your apartment or house, from your bathroom to your laundry room.
First things first… put your spring cleaning day on your calendar so that it becomes official. Take off work, don’t make plans, and set reminders. This will help you mentally prepare in the days leading up.
Prior to cleaning your home, check your pantry before making your shopping list in case you already have some of the supplies you need. Then, begin writing down your shopping list or use what we’ve come up with below! You can remove the in-person shopping altogether and add everything into your virtual shopping cart using a grocery delivery app. If you’re nervous about what products you will be using in your home, be sure to check product labels prior to purchasing.
For a worry-free spring cleaning day, be sure to check out our checklist.
Add the following cleaning products to your shopping list:
- Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges – look for sponges that are good for messes that stick
- Premium Latex Gloves – you’ll want them to last
- Disinfecting Wipes – you can get scented or unscented depending on your preference
- All-Purpose Cleaning Spray
- Sanitizing Spray
- Foaming Bathroom Cleaner – good for destroying soap scum
- Furniture Polish
- Heavy Duty Duster
- Liquid Clog Remover
- Hob Scraper
- Canned Air
- White Vinegar
- Garbage Bags
- Baking Soda
- Broom and Dustpan/Sweeping Kit
Do you own the following? Can you rent or borrow these items for the day:
- Carpet Cleaner
- Vacuum/Sweep floors
- Dust light switches, fixtures, ceiling fans, baseboards, vents, room corners
- Check to see if smoke detectors need batteries
- Clean windows, if any
- Empty garbage cans and wash out the insides
- Bundle items that you intend to keep and want to put into storage
- Wipe down all of your small appliances first
- Depending on the type of toaster you have, try and clear out any crumbs
- Use the ‘Self-Clean’ option on the oven for a deep oven clean
- Hob scrape the top of the oven
- Pull out the oven (if you can) to sweep out any crumbs that have fallen on either side
- Do the same with the refrigerator – sweep and dust anything out on either side
- Start with the top shelf on your refrigerator (in case any crumbs fall down) and work your way down, washing and sanitizing each shelf
- Throw out any expired items!
- Wipe and clean under all dishes, cups, knick-knacks in all of your cupboards
- Sanitize and wipe your cabinet handles
- Put fresh baking soda in your refrigerator to keep funky smells away
- Organize your toiletries
- Stock up on your toilet paper
- Throw out any expired lotions and/or medicines
- How does your shower liner look? Is it time for a new one?
- Check on your shower curtain – does it need to be washed?
- Organize any drawers or bathroom storage
- Neatly fold and store your towels
- Scrub the whole toilet, back to front and top to bottom
- Make sure you’re getting the flooring around the toilet
- Vacuum every square foot – even under the bed
- Rotate each of your mattresses
- Swapping out your winter wardrobe and packing away, if you don’t have the room to store this in your home, consider renting a storage unit at Prime Storage for your closet away from home!
- Dust and sanitize any shelving
- Use the canned air to clean your computer’s keyboard
- Disinfect and sanitize high-touch surfaces like your mouse and desk drawer handles
- Clean out any lint in your washer traps
- Get behind the machines to clean out any dust or lint that has gathered
- Vacuum any carpets and follow it up with a deep clean
- Remove all of your couch and chair cushions in order to vacuum and clean out anything that has fallen into the couch (maybe you’ll find some loose change)
This list might seem like a lot, but there’s no shame in taking your time in order to ensure you’re thoroughly cleaning out your apartment or house. You’ll feel so accomplished once you’re done!
Work on establishing a monthly cleaning schedule that’s lighter than this spring cleaning checklist. Once you’re able to maintain a regular cleaning schedule throughout the calendar year, your spring cleaning checklist will feel much easier each spring. For more cleaning tips, read all our other blog posts on how to keep your home, garage, shed, and more neat and tidy!
If you need somewhere to store your extra belongings while you declutter, Prime Storage offers month-to-month leases and a variety of unit sizes. Visit one of our facilities or call one of our friendly storage professionals to rent a unit today!